Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Random Thoughts

Apparently, the Jameer Nelson experiment in Orlando at the end of last season was too successful for an Orlando Magic team that has become accustomed to losing. New head coach Brian Hill has reinstated Steve Francis to his role as starting point guard/ball hog and early results have been, well…terrible. While the Magic pulled out their first victory of the season on Tuesday with a 76-74 win over a Houston team struggling without T-Mac, “Franchise” was well on his way to blowing it down the stretch, just as he did against Washington on Friday, before Nelson came off the bench to take over the game’s final three minutes. There’s only one franchise player on this team, and his name is Dwight Howard, who took just one shot during the entire fourth quarter. Although some fans might dig the “excitement” that Stevie’s high-flying, shot-chucking, no-passing game brings to the table, scoring less than 80 points per game and blowing late leads is a sure way to keep the fans away in droves. If the Magic want to start scoring points, they need to find a point guard who can distribute the ball to the post and play smart down the stretch. Nelson deserves the opportunity to run the team with Francis shifting over to shooting guard, where his ability to create shots will be more useful and his innate selfishness will be less of a liability.



In yet another indication of how boring it can be to follow basketball north of the border, the most exciting news surrounding the Raptors these days is a point guard controversy… between Mike James and Jose Calderon. The Spanish youngster Calderon is a great distributor (4.5 assist/turnover ratio), but Toronto desperately needs James’ scoring. Yes, Raps fans, that is a very scary thing. I give Sam Mitchell about another month before the axe falls.

Earth to Peja… Earth to Peja… After assuaging early concerns by going off for 33 points on Sunday night, the Slavic sharpshooter put worried looks back on the faces of Kings fans and fantasy owners everywhere by putting up an ugly 9-point performance on 4-13 shooting against the Pistons. The career 46.5% shooter is now shooting a miserable 40.9% in what was supposed to be a huge contract year. Maybe he's been a little too busy posing for shirtless publicity photos and not busy enough working on his jumper.

Needless to say, my team is doing pretty crappy right now, shooting .416 from the field and .691 from the line. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't a little worried. Peja has been sucking, Kirilenko's mask is messing up his shot, and Dwight Howard has not been getting the shots he needs to get to be effective--or converting at a high percentage on the ones he has gotten.

Pray for Mojo.

5 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel yer pain.

I too am a suffering Howard/AK47 owner who winces in pain every time Franchise heaves up another ill-advised brick while D-Ho stands and watches under the hoop. And that 12.5 FG% for AK in week one. Simply bru-tal. Compounding these woes for me is watching #1 pick Lebron's apparent devolution from multi-cat beast to one dimensional scorer. Bottom line: I'm getting smoked in categories that I thought I would be competitive in.

Obviously, I have no choice but to stand pat and hope that my studs come around. But I also need to feel like I'm doing something to remedy this situation so I've been tinkering endlessly with the end of my bench, hoping to unearth a diamond in the rough. In the last week, I've picked up names like Calderon, Boris Diaw and Channing Frye. Won't put me over the top, I know, but it keeps things interesting enough to distract me from the pain of watching my underachieving studs.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Michael Deuser said...

Bublitchki--I guess it gets worse before it gets better. 9 points from Kirilenko? Come on! On his turnovers are way up, too. Luckily, so are his assists--way up, in fact--and he's playing a ton of minutes. We can expect him to figure out his shooting soon, can't we. Can't we.

As for Howard, I've been spending every day regretting not picking Chris Bosh when I had the chance. I was happy to forgo Bosh's FT% for what I thought would be Ben Wallace-like defensive numbers to go with 16+ points on 50%+ shooting, but needless to say, none of these things have materialized, and Bosh is blowing up. Maybe I'll look smarter come June, but right now, I look kinda dumb.

At least Peja seems to be coming around.

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhh, no, MKD. It appears that things get worse before they get even more worst.

AK47 plays ten minutes and then leaves the court with an ankle injury; severity unknown. Jeez.

Tell me this is just a bad dream.

 
At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also have dwight, ak47 and peja on my team. i also have bosh and brand. i'm thinking of trading dwight for bibby or kirk.

do you think dwight will still bust out this year?

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Michael Deuser said...

Dwight Howard: Bust out in progress? It could be. More shots would be nice. I do think he will bust out sometime this year, but Brian Hill is really starting to piss me off. It should be *now*, not later. Get out your Steve Francis voodoo dolls, and we'll see what we can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home