Saturday, November 12, 2005

Prediction Disasters

It has come time to admit that several of my early-season sleeper picks have not come to fruition, primarily because of playing time situations. Let's first have a look at picks that have been, well, bad so far:

Raja Bell: I predicted points in the high teens and about 2 threes per game for Bell this year, but after seeing his playing time drop from the 30s to the mid-upper 20s with the emergence of Diaw and Barbosa, it looks unlikely he'll be able to put up these numbers. Leandro Barbosa is the new starter in Phoenix. Whether he'll be worth picking up depends on whether he can break the 30 mpg barrier. Although he seems to be a gifted scorer, I would not count on it.

James Jones: See above. I predicted over 2 threes per game for the young Jones, but the versatile Boris Diaw has now become the starter over Jones.

Josh Childress: I predicted a ridiculous bust-out year for Childress, something along the lines of 16 and 9, with all the trimmings. On a team constructed entirely from 6'9" swingmen just like him, Childress is losing playing time (28.4 mpg, down from last year's average) and shots (5.8 per game). This has him producing an ugly 8.4 points and 3.2 boards per game. He's efficient as all hell, but can't be prolific enough to put up useful fantasy numbers if he's not playing true starters' minutes. J-Chill played 35 minutes the first game of the season and only 19 last game: if something doesn't change, he'll be a drop candidate in the next couple of weeks. He deserves to be playing.

Juan Dixon: I predicted 16-4-4 out of Dixon. Um, yeah. At a little bit over 16 mpg, Dixon--signed to be a starter--isn't playing any more this season in Portland than he did last year in Washington. It must hurt to not get minutes on a team filled with bad high school ballers, but it is what it is. Dixon belongs on no rosters.

The Good News:

Playing team is still in flux all over the league, especially on teams like the Hawks and Blazers (ahem). There's still a chance that these guys will come roaring back to life over the next few months as their coaches realize that they're better than the guys they are starting (Charles Smith, for instance, is currently a starter in Portland). If the guys above are getting dropped to the wire, the shrewd owner (particularly in the case of Childress) can grab them up and stash them until their day comes. When it does, they'll be rewarded handsomely.

Of course, there's also the chance that they will obstinately stick to rotations that make no sense.

In the meantime, guys like Leandro Barbosa and Al Jefferson have probably made their way to the wire, and are likely to make their debuts in their respective starting lineups soon.

When the fantasy gods close a door, they usually open a window. Keep your eyes peeled.

10 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My biggest prediction disaster:

Expecting a monstrous blow-up year from Dwight Howard. Reading all the pre-season hype about how Hill was going to make him the centerpiece of the offense had me expecting Amare-like numbers from him this season. Based on that, I drafted him in the third round, ahead of "safer" picks like Bosh (who I still feel is bit over-rated; a glorified Joe Smith type) and Gasol.

While Howard still has plenty of time to turn it around (and make me look smart), it seems his primary role has been as a spectator to the Stevie Franchise show. Kinda makes you wish that coaches paid more attention to the +/- stats found on 82games.com which currently show Howard as a +18.3 while Francis clocks in at a meagre +4.9.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi , I was just doing a search on the net for and I came accross your post. Although Prediction Disasters wasn't what I was interested in, it sure grabbed my attention. Now I see why I found your page when I was looking for related information. Thank You-----Great Post.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Michael Deuser said...

Bubs-

You and me are feeling pretty good tonight, huh? Although it took him an OT period to do it, D-How went off for 21 and 16 with 3 assists, 2 steals, a block, and only 1 turnover while shooting 9-13 from the field. That's more like it. Course, Bosh had a pretty nice night himself.

Anonymous-

Always happy to chip in some disastrous fantasy picks. Stop by again.

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's what I'm talkin' about...

Howard's performance tonight actually enabled me to squeak by in the offensive and total rebound categories, which in turn enabled me to win my weekly H2H matchup.

My elation is leavened by the news that AK47 will be sidelined 1-2 weeks with a sprained ankle. Next week does not look good, as I figure to get spanked in many of the categories that AK so reliably fills.

As a desperation measure, I dropped Bonzi and picked up Shane Battier (kind of a poor man's Kirilenko). But let's you and me hope that Howard can keep putting up numbers like he did tonight; that would go a long way toward keeping me in the game while AK mends.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger "rem" said...

The Raja Bell situation was one that I had been monitoring for a while and saw his minutes diminish along the way which prompted me to drop him and pick up Battier off of waivers.

If I may add that I also proceeded to drop Antonio Daniels who is just not getting the minutes in Washington and I went after Jaric who has fared much better.

Another transaction that I did was letting go of Stromile Swift in favor of Pachulia (may be the only big man in Altanta) as the Hawks decide to tinker with their forwards/swingmen before I presume trading at least one of them for some frontcourt help.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pachulia is a solid, solid pick-up.

That's one prediction that has actually exceeded my rather modest preseason expectations. I took a flyer on him in the late rounds (our league requires that we start two centers each week) and have happily monitored his progress since the season began. He's noticeably improving as he's gotten used to his starter's role and is now beginning to provide blocks, steals and assists along with his 13 pts/9 rpg. I'm amazed that you could still get him; he should not be on the waiver wire in any league.

Ironically, it is Swift, the guy you dropped in order to pick up Pachulia, that has caused me no end of vexation. Having seen all the marquee centers go off the board early, I selected Stro in the fifth round (bypassing the likes of Richard Jefferson in the process) because of his center eligibility and his long-awaited escape from the fantasy black hole of Memphis.

Well, we all know how things have turned out thus far. Van Gundy has been just as stingy with the minutes as was Brown/Fratello and Stro has been reduced to coming off the bench behind Jurassic Juwan. In his limited minutes, he has shown a few flashes of the tantalizing potential that once beguiled starry-eyed dreamers to do things like, oh, draft him in the fifth round ahead of RJ.

Now, if Stro were just some 10th rounder or waiver wire fling, I would have cut him loose by now. But because I paid so dearly for him on draft day, he will endure, albatross-like, on my roster for the duration.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Michael Deuser said...

I like Pachulia a lot, too. I grabbed him in the 12th round of the draft, and have been starting him lately over Przybilla since it looks like McMillan has no interest in playing the latter more than 30 minutes. Already a double-double with tons of room to improve.

Bublitchki--check out that line from D-How at the half, man. Feel that. 15 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, NO TURNOVERS, 4-7 FG and 7-8 FT! WOOOHOOO! I can barely contain my glee.

And yeah, I had already drafted Battier and was looking for a way to get him in my lineup, anyway. Worse than a poor man's Kirilenko, I'd say he's a homeless man's Kirilenko, but he could still be Top 60 in turnover leagues if he keeps playing like he's been playing. We will rise in the TO category as long as we replace AK with Battier, so it's not all bad.

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, can I call 'em, or what.

No sooner do I proclaim my prediction of a Dwight Howard breakout year a disaster, then dude blows up for 40 points and 36 boards in his next two games.

No sooner do I anoint Zaza the sleeper of the year, then dude lays a 6 pt, 2 rebound egg against the Spurs.

So, in keeping with the spirit of those past two predictions, here's my latest prognostication: Bush will serve out the rest of his term.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger "rem" said...

gotta roll with the punches and expect that kinda performance from Zaza vs. the Spurs though

Really too bad about RJ over Swift though (i mean Doh!!!)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Michael Deuser said...

Ha! We can only hope, in our wildest dreams, that your poor prediction continues...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home